Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What's love got to do with it?

There are so many sayings, songs, and lately books on love or romance. Most common saying would be "Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all." by St. Augustine.  I don't agree with this.  If you think about it how many times have you fallen in love? Now think about the love that eventually ended? It hurt didn't it, so why would you want to hurt? It's like self-mutilation, but from the inside out.


I know some will not agree because with each person they may have loved they learned something new about themselves, but I feel that it doesn't take love to learn about yourself.  I found this quote, "Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition." by Alexander Smith. I would say I more agree with this. How do you know what you are or what you could be OR what completes you without love? Let me give an example. When I was 18 I cut off most contact with one of my family members because I did not feel that I deserved to be emotionally and psychologically abused to tears. (this took place over the course from age 7 to 18).  This person assumed that I was something that I was not thus leading to and end to a relationship.


Now I was young and really loved this person, but I had learned over time that I needed to love myself more or I would completely self-destruct. Now because of someone else in my life, a new love, I have strength to pursue this old love.  Yes, it is a cautious step by step deal, but at least time I have someone who is going to hold my hand through it.  I TRUST that this person would not allow anything to happen to me whether done by someone else or myself.


I may only be a little over a quarter century old, but that doesn't mean I stop learning.  Love is about passion, passion for the love of your life, what they do, who they are, or even what they love.  In return they should give you the same love back.  I may not LOVE basketball, but I love that he loves it and how it IS something we can share together.  


I picked the title of a song sung by Tina Turner not only because it is a good song, but it does hold a lot of truth.  Think back to what you do in your life probably more specifically the stuff you like to ....now....what's love got to do with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment