Monday, March 14, 2011

Truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth

I know I have to get this entered today.  My goal was to write a blog a day, but I wanted to start with truth which is a bit hard to come across.  I try to think do we want to go into the 'I'm telling you the truth' type scenario or to find the deepest truths, but then it seems that truth and honesty are very closely related a bit more than I had expected.

When I think of the word 'truth' my mind travels back in time to when I was younger and persistently asked 'why' to everything.  Why is the sky blue? (because it reflects the ocean) Why is the ocean blue? (because it reflects the sky) Where do babies come from? (I'll tell you when your older?) Am I older now? (no you are not) When will I be older?---exhausted yet?

Why is it that when your young you want to know more about everything, but as we age we just accept that this is the way it is suppose to be? Have you ever looked at your hand and had that out of body experience where you have a scientific thought as to 'how does this exist? how are these mechanics possible?' I have many times.  I may not have ever found an answer to my question, but there is nothing wrong with a little food for thought.

Take for example, "What Dreams May Come" starring Robin Williams.  This is one of my favorite movies because of the thoughts it provokes.  (I have yet to read the book associated with this movie).  In the movie Robin Williams it walking under water to his house while talking to Cuba Gooding Jr., who is walking on top of the water, about what he actually is.  Robin's character makes a smarta** comment about being under water and not having to worry about dying.  Cuba then confronts him about what has died.  Are we a hand, a leg, a brain? What exactly are we? How do we think?

We spend out time make things out of something else knowing that everything has a beginning and an end, so basically we cannot fathom how we are who we are.  Science tries to predict it, religion just gives an excuse, leaving us to ask 'what is the actual truth and will we ever know it?'

No comments:

Post a Comment