Saturday, August 11, 2012

Old School?? or Just Growing up.

I read an article this week on how young adults in their 20s are not growing up, meaning they are still set in the "life is like high school" mindset.  I did not take much thought to the article until I looked at a couple young 20 year olds in my life.  Let's review shall we.

When I was younger and living on a farm there was no question of work. Work was required and a necessity to live.  Now I see at least two examples where it is accepted that you live off the government or off someone else and use the funds available to drink, smoke, etc.  It is almost as if paying bills is a non existent thought.  So the simple necessities like food, shelter, transporation are not important.  What about kids?  Do they come second as well?

I was talking with a friend about the concept of work and she expressed concern to the shocked face from a coworker at the explanation of "overtime."  To those who do not know this means you work extra hours (more than the regular 40 per week) and get paid for them, sometimes you get paid extra.  Some young adults think this allows for a flexible schedule for the rest of the week.  For example, if I work 10 hours one day I can work 6 the next. NOPE!!! Sorry, wrong!! Nice try!  Life does not work this way and good luck changing it.

Besides work whatever happened to teaching responsibility, a spanking, or dare I say common sense?  I once received an email that common sense is dead.  I must say I have to agree with this statement. Below I will post the email.  Read it and sit back to think.  I do not know the author even though this person had some real insight to people. 

Responsibility.  Life is made up of "maybe" so no one does any wrong.  I guess my view is a person, yes me too, should be mature enough to handle the truth and own up when that person has done wrong.  How is a person going to be able to change or improve if a person is considered always right and never wrong or is not told of the wrong?  Makes for a boring life if you know all the answers.  What is there left to explore then?

As for spanking, this topic was inspired by a discussion with two friends of mine.  One lift of the hand and a child cryies wolf.  Should a situation have gotten to that point where a child cries wolf?  I believe in a good spanking, one that teaches, but is not overdone.  A good swap or two was always enough of a lesson to me.  This may be an old school thinking, but it taught a lot.

So what happens when the irresponsible young generation grows up to the next decade?  I could give a few examples at least financially speaking.  I am not saying all early 20 year olds are irresponsible, but there are quite a few and for their sake.....I hope they eventually remove the blinding goggles and grow up.


As promised......

COMMON SENSE IS DEAD!!!!!    

OBITUARY

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was as his birth records were lost long ago in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticking plaster to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents Truth and Trust, his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsibility and his son Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers: I Know My Rights, Someone Else Is To Blame and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing
.






2 comments:

  1. Common sense is not common. It has became incredibly rare. As for the comments on the abuse of govt. aid...My mom used to receive such aid. Did so after both of her divorces. And she worked her butt off to get back on her feet. So the subject it kind of a touchy one for me. During my year working at Casey's I saw way too many people come in to buy just food with their SNAP cards, then whip out a big wad a cash to buy beer and cigarettes. In one case, the customer was a known drug dealer. I know people who barely get by (on aid), have cars that are falling apart, then blow their huge tax return on high end furniture and electronics. Dumb! And on that note, let's get rid of refundable tax credits. You can't get more back than you paid in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The government statement was meant to be broad, but when you hear a young adult outright say they do not need to work as much because of the assistance, it clarifies where the person's values are. After divorces I am going to assume that she was single for a period of time. My mother was the same way at working her butt off. I applaud your mother for her motivation. By doing this she was showing that she was independant. I was more referring to those who are LAZY. I apologize if I was not clear.

    ReplyDelete