Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Walk With Rain...

Some of you might read this and think A) this girl is weird, B) this girl is insane, or C) why?

It was 2:30 am on a Sunday morning.  The rain was calling my name as it fell from the sky.  I tried just observing it from the window, but it was all too tempting.  What can I say?  I HAD to go for a walk.  This has always been something special to me and to be honest only a special person would understand. 

So I changed into decent clothes and walked out the door not looking back.  At first I felt stupid because this is not what a "normal" person would do.  Then I went for it.  After the initial shock of the cold water I got used it.  I began to walk down the street not exactly knowing where I was going to stop.  One block down I turned around and the voices in my head told me to keep going.  Two blocks down, keep going.  Three blocks down, could I get sick from being this soak and wet?

I tuned out everything around me except the sound of the rain falling, flowing down the street, down the sewer, and down the street.  The sound of nothing but the rain was so therapeutic it left me thinking back to some vacations of mine.

First dated me back to my sophomore band trip to Niagara Falls.  For some reason water just clears my mind as if I were being cleansed in a bath.

I continued to walk with my bare feet soaking in the puddles and the rain now creeping up my pant leg to my knees. I remembered a summer vacation when my sister and I  were imagining we were homeless.  We were at a rest stop so my father could sleep a little bit before we continued on our way to our desination.  My sister and I grabbed some blankets and curled up outside the car on the sidewalk.  Next thing we know a cop is stopping by to see if we got left behind. (lol.) As I was walking I had to chuckle a little realizing this was a true moment of our imaginations.

Eventually I end my walk down the middle of the street not worrying about any cars because there are none.  I pray sometime, someday, that someone will understand. To me, this walk was heaven because for a brief moment I left reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment