Tuesday, February 2, 2016

"Work doesn't define you, _______"

I was recently told this statement within the last week as journey into the break up of one relationship into the establishment of another.  This statement range true in my mind and yet it puzzled me on what actually defines me.  Hard work?  Determination?  Strength?  Although I have preached many times on strength as it is a term that has taken me far in the last couple years considering how many times I have shoved or smacked down in my own personal life.  Getting back up is a struggle...for anyone at times and strength is no longer defined by the physical core of a human.  Strength has become the tool of another entity:  determination.

Where is this established and how is it made?  Struggles, the reactions we choose once we meet the pavement.  I see many people these days give up, not only kissing the pavement because they have been knocked down, but then kissing it to establish a relationship where they choose not to get up.  They lie there expecting that things will be handed to them not knowing that the hand to help them up can only reach so far in order to not become victim to the pavement also. 

I might say that I consider myself lucky some days because I had parents who instilled in me a bit of a fight, one that at one time saved my life.  At a young age, I spent a lot of time with my mother and I watched how she raised my siblings and I on what seemed like next to nothing financially, but included things beyond money and material items:  the value of a team/family.  My father then taught me to challenge things, to question norms, and expect explanations whether logical or not.

What does this have to do with the statement titling this entry?  I go to work to my team/family multiple days of the week determined to contribute to the success of the team.  What does that mean?  In short, I figure out how I can benefit my professional family and leave it in better condition than when I left it.  I do this through the drive to provide quality work, to mark off tasks on the team's "checklist", and through helping my professional family members personally and professionally.  I am determined to achieve success in many aspects of life, professionally in this case, but I am NOT going to leave anyone behind who presents the willingness of success as well.  To me, success does not include one person, but includes many and my success is their success (can we say how trite/cliche that sounds? LOL).  

So the state, "Work doesn't define you, _______" was tossed at me because my passion burned a bit deep and I gave too much of myself as I ran into a moment of derailment.  Is there such thing as too much determination?  Too much fight?  Yes, when it takes over who you are to the point that success is just that and lacks in quality.  Sometimes it takes a person a bit of a verbal slap to the face to show you that "I understand, but you need to remain true to yourself also."  Derailing is how to lose one's self while  verbal vomiting is a procedure to fix your your engine. ;)  

This statement does not stop here, but allows for provoking thought.  So what defines a person?  What defines you?  What puzzle pieces reflect you?  Maybe, what defines us are the things we want in life (beyond material assets, of course).  I was not intended to find an answer here or even define one today, but I did want to share in this thought to see what people came up with for themselves.  Feel free to share and if not....enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment