Sunday, February 14, 2016

Why Valentine's Day Seems to Miss its Own Point.

As of a few minutes ago, Valentine's Day became official.  That is correct.  Break out the candy, the flowers, and dare I say the indulgent ever fornicating facade of love.  (Shoot! Was I daring again in my word choice?)  Yes, I believe Valentine's Day is a facade because of the required obligation it provides for society to PROVE love.  Why can I not just love you every day?  Why do I have to show or tell you "I love you" on this specific day?

Sorry folks, but I am going to preach this every year because it bugs the crap out of me how I watch everything commercialized in the thought of love that love itself becomes so fake.  Do not get me wrong in that I do not appreciate when someone thinks of me (who doesn't?), but I will always appreciate it more when it is sporadic instead of forced.  How else do you know if someone truly cares about you?  When that person did something or said something when you least expected it.  

You, my reader, are probably going to laugh at me when I say this, but I have been reading a bunch of blogs on the holiday the last couple days (partially in procrastination of my school paper-did I mention I am a master at procrastinating?) and I laugh at the stereotypes printed out there; "Oh, how I love thee" or "I f*cking hate this holiday".  I do not hate Valentine's Day, but I do not agree with what it stands for and what it does to society.

Personally, after many different life events, I appreciate the small things in life and I try my best to portray that to others.  To me, a simple hug given when you did not know a person was having a bad day, a "Good morning" note, simply acknowledging a person may look like something is wrong and need a friend (and no this is not stating a person looks like crap, which some may interpret), or maybe, considering the holiday, giving a small token resembling "I care about you" to someone not in a relationship as it seems the rest of the world couples up.  

So is it weird that my thoughts process like this?  Am I alone when I think this?  Is there anyone else who understands the concept here?

Food for thought:

I saw on social media a message stating "Any dude that waits for Valentine's Day to treat his woman like a Queen is failing 364 days of the year."  I was a bit curious, so read the comments below where a young man stated he saved up his money for this one day (one of the most expensive days of the year might I add) to "go big or go home" in proving his love (enter palm to forehead).  Prorating throughout the year or waiting for one single day?  Then I laughed because my initial thought was "What about treating a man like a King?"  Okay, now society would really categorize me as weird for this backwards train of thought considering the stereotypical thought is that this is all for the women. Pffft! 

I guess my beef is....to the person I have a committed relationship with (this includes a coupling relationship, friendship, family-ship, sinking ship, Oops!) I fell in love with you before.  I love you today, I love you tomorrow, and as long as we continue interacting in each other's lives I will continue to work on that love until you tell me...well, for lack of a better phrase,...that it needs to die.  So to all those whom I care about, no matter the type of relationship, I love you and ...make today a great one.  My other personalities and I are going to enjoy each others' company in a warm petal filled bath with a giant cup of coffee to relax. (Sounds kinky, right? and yet only some of you will understand the sarcasm in it)  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment