Thursday, November 22, 2012

Realizing "Thanksgiving"

Today is Thanksgiving day.  Most people I know out there are with family and while I am here and alone at the moment.  Some of you may read that and think, "That is sad. You should be with your family and friends."  All hope is not lost.  I will be with my family this weekend.  Call us a little untraditional where birthdays can last a couple days, Christmas lasts two weeks, and Thanksgiving does not get skipped.

Actually Thanksgiving pops up more than once a year.  I am thankful that I still get to talk to my mom whenever I wish.  I remember a scare a couple years ago when she was very ill.  Since it is one of the first times I had ever seen my mom that weak scared me.  I am thankful that she understands me no matter how twisted, confusing, and inside out I am to others.  She is also the only one who understands ALL my other personalities.  Okay, I'm kidding, but some days you have to wonder.  

I am thankful for my sister.  She left her life needing change and I need strength.  I needed someone to catch me when I fell down and show me how to balance.  I would say she is the most stable person I know, but we still have a soft understanding side that may get the best of us.  

Then there is my brother.  Just when you think he is not looking, he is right there in your face and always has your back.  I am thankful for him as well.  It was this summer that he told me his wedding "was just a formality" because he felt married to his wife long before. 

Even though I cannot list everything I am thankful for I will point out a few more things that are worth mentioning.  I am thankful for......
......two friends who show me what it is like to be "a couple."  Friends come first.
......a friend who stays true to herself and does not change for anyone.
......my friends from my childhood because no matter how far apart we are things never change from the time we leave each other until the next time we see each other.
......for inner strength.  After a year and 7 months I am still trying to figure things out that I knew before and begin to trust myself.

Even though it is Thanksgiving, the most forgotten holiday during this time of year, we should all think about these things everyday from the time we wake up to the time we go to sleep.  I wake up each morning appreciating being alive.  I guess when you almost loose things it becomes more apparent how important they are to you.  I wish you all the happiest Thanksgiving today, tomorrow, and all year 'round. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment