Thursday, April 23, 2015

If It's Important To You, It's Important To Me....

Last night I was doing homework for grad school answering a discussion question that led me to think what is important to me.  My thoughts did not stop there. I started to think about my friends, my family, and what is important to them.  I thought about my relationship to these people and a big part that emphasizes the meaning of each relationship.  How do you show someone that you value that person?  You value the things that are important to them because those are the pieces that define a person.

For example, I like to write and this blog is important to me because it allows me to step out of myself to acknowledge the fact that the weird twisted thoughts I have are not limited to just my mind, but also by a select few, which may be why I am not as wide spread as other blogs.  This blog, however, is not my personal journal, but it is full of thoughts that I would normally not share in the open.  I am not always the best speaker even though that does not mean I have nothing to say.

My writing has been criticized all my life, which it should be, from school papers to being told that this is just a way to update people of what is going on in my life.  Although the critiques may leave a sore, I take them with the idea of 'corrective criticism,' which give me ideas of how to expand my audience by adding new personal touches or just all together new things in my life.  New experiences, new knowledge, new topics, etc., so I do not run out of things to write about.  I remember watching Dawson's Creek where in one episode a person's passion was described a tool used to explore every other aspect of that person's life.  Well, good grief, I think I have that covered here.

So what happens when a person starts to feel under valued in these relationships?  What happens when someone tells you that he/she do not read you writing because it is not something that person is into? Is that person not missing out on the true essence of who you are as a person. (side note: I am using this in terms of me personally, but fill in the content with your passion)  What happens when someone tells you that something you love bores that person?  I'll tell you what it does.  It makes that person be quiet or even step back from you.  By not appreciating the significance of this attribute you are not showing value in that person.

Face it, any relationship is hard and it cannot be one-sided and when there are setbacks it does not mean you cannot get back to where you were before if you both try contributing to a solution.  I will admit, right now I am struggling with issue and let me tell you...it is a MOTHERBOARD of a mess.  I am trying to find the outlet to reconnect by putting forth effort to learn more about this critical piece of a person only to feel as though I am losing a bit of myself...again.  I lost myself to another completely once, which does not nourish a relationship and this one is important to me. However, my relationship to myself is more important.  The individual will never read this, but then again, I have immediate family members who do not read it so I guess that is not any different.  I will, on the other hand, continue to try to make a connection because if it is important to you, it is important to me.  

Yes my friends, if something is important to you, it will be important to me because YOU are important to me and if I am truly going to know YOU I will explore the things that are significant to you.  I may not personally be interested in these things, but that does not mean I cannot explore them.  If you are in a show, I would try to attend a viewing to support you.  If you have a fund raiser, I would try to contribute.  If you wanted to learn to make sushi, I would...oh wait, I would kinda like to learn that. :P

You get the point,...right?


No comments:

Post a Comment