Friday, July 7, 2017

I'm Still That Girl

I'm still that girl.

I'm still that girl that wasn't pretty enough for you to date.  I wasn't popular enough for you to leech from, but I tore you off and walked on.  

I'm still that girl, part of the black sheep herd the shepherd separates from the desired.  I'm different and that scared you.  It scared you to know I don't follow your path.  It scared you that I didn't follow traditional rules.  It terrified you when you thought I would leave and yet you are the one who walked away from me.  I scared you because you couldn't help me, couldn't support me, you didn't understand me, but you didn't try.  Different is scary and I SCARED YOU.  

I'm still the girl who looks in the mirror and sees how others defined her at a young age.  Words are hard, but labels are harder.  Everything asymmetrical, largely proportioned, enough to make you nauseous.  

I'm still that girl who hid in the corner and allowed you to take my life.  She now dwells in a box, never to emerge unless hope resides at the bottom.

I'm still that girl, the one who will make you define what you mean not what you say.  

I am the girl who reveals the truth in the story you hide thinking you could escape the consequences.  

I am the girl that is the result of your consequences redefining worth; yours...or mine?  I am the girl that walks away.  I never look back, but I remember.  

I'm the girl that's going to hold you accountable but won't say a word because you told me not to.

I'm still the girl that may not be worth it to you, but even worse, may at times not even to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment