Saturday, August 27, 2016

Progression? Development? Advancement? Stalemate.

Tonight someone made a comment that was puzzling in comparison to my experience.  The comment was perceived as though a person needs another person (a relationship) in order to grow or develop. (Takes a moment of silence.....maybe an additional moment for the crickets to stop chirping.)  So let me get this straight.  In order for me evolve I need another person?

I am perplexed at the undefined.  Then there is the question of wants, needs, or desires.  Let's slim this down shall we?

In this context, "relationship" was used in reference to "significant other" and the whole plethora of thesaurical labels that assimilate to the phrase, when in actuality, "relationship" is how two things relate. (Yes, you can smack your forehead now in the "a-duh" moment.)  So does this mean a single person lacks progression? (This is about the time I would walk away from a person shaking my head at the pure ignorance.) NO!  I am single and yet I think I have progressed much further than many individuals I have encountered.  Hell, in the last five years alone I do not think I could even begin to describe the meaning of progression to most.  Progression and development result from a craving of desiring more knowledge complimented with curiosity.  I cannot help that I want to know everything.  I am greedy in that way and damn proud of it, but does that mean I need a romantic relationship?

Now if we redefine "relationship" in the sense that I may need a "partner in crime," then I can see in some situations a "relationship" is needed for progression.  For example, I went skydiving.  Some people are scared of heights, so maybe they participate in a tandem jump to face their fears.  The relationship of the two people for the tandem jump (student/instructor) is one that provides progression for at least one of the two parties involved.

Unfortunately, I am still uneasy about the whole thing. Why?  Progression always starts with the self.  A person will not evolve if the individual does not want to.  A person will not progress if the individual does not feel the need.  A person will become an ignorant fool if a person does not have one of the aforementioned......oops!  Seems my opinionated self stepped in.  

Stalemating is completely frustrating to me.  I see or meet people who say they would not change anything in their lives.  I have had a handful of dates who proclaim their lives are exactly the way they want them, they just need a woman to "fit" into that life.  (knocks on your forehead) Excuse me?  Anyone home?  I am NOT some little woman to FIT into your life.  I am NOT going to just sit tight and make you a damn sandwich.  You have two legs, two hands, and God pray tell half a brain to make your own damn sandwich.  

Enough of my rant.  I think that part of a lack in progression is fear where people tend to curl up in the norm, which is safe.  Personally, I have a hard time understanding safe in this form.  It just lacks excitement.  ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment