Saturday, February 14, 2015

Not Feeling the Love on Valentine's Day



For the next few hours people, mainly couples, are enjoying the idea love, which is the main focus of Valentine's Day.  Many of you who know me personally know that I do not like this holiday because to me it is setting up an obligation to say 'I love you.'  What about the other 364 days of the year? Do you not love me during those days? Not to mention the stereotypical thought of the man getting his wife or girlfriend something sweet like candy or jewelry.

Let's think about this a bit. Couples are now redefined so the stereotype should no longer exist, yet how many times do we hear about the wife or girlfriend getting the man something for Valentine's Day?  Not to mention society includes same-sex couples, leaving the stereotype thought completely diminished.

Do I need to mention the candy and jewelry?  We will start with the candy thought.  Yes, candy is nice and sweet and for interpretation sake translates to "...it was cheap at Walmart, but I know you like the caramel filled ones." (enter eye roll here).  Personally, I do not mind candy so much because of 'the thought that counts.'  However, it if February, two months into the new year directly after everyone, especially women, have made New Year's Resolutions to lose weight.  Now is that something you want to deal with when you give candy?  I guess I would not, but then again I would hope the other person is smart enough to know that I do not want candy. Jewelry is also typical because of the 'ooooo, shiny' affect it has on people.  Again, all thought and no substance even though I would not necessarily turn it down as I do like to accessorize with jewelry. (I did receive two very thoughtful pieces of jewelry recently that matched my personality and were not generic pieces.  That personal touch gives the piece meaning, which makes it important to me)

Flowers.  Think of the billions of dollars that are spent on flowers, specifically red roses, each year during Valentine's Day, not to mention how much the price is increased for demand.  This is stereotypical also.  Again, I would not turn it down, but I would not appreciate it as much because it is expected.  Now receiving dead roses, that is not expected, but nor is it appreciated. (Yes, that was sarcastic)




I guess my main problem is the obligation of an emotion that society throws around as a meaningless phrase.  People say 'I love you' everyday, but their actions do not reflect this as maybe there is abuse, infidelity, or maybe after all these years the spark is missing.  When I tell a person I love them, it is because I genuinely love that person and not because some significant title required me to say it.  I want the person who is going to love me 365 days of the year and not just one.  I want the person who is going to love me because that person truly has that feeling towards me and not because everyone around that person expected it to be said.  I also do not want Valentine's Day to be just about couples...you know, the ones that get all mushy making the rest of us want to gag.

I am not saying I would not appreciate the sentiment on Valentine's either.  I remember once in high school, a time where I was never coupled up, where I received flowers from my closest friends while they received them from their boyfriends at the time.  That is true love.  I have also received a mint and the specified Coke Zero used to put a smile on my face after a bad day.  That is true love. Actual true love is the thought beyond the stereotype, something personal. For me? Grab me a good book, a journal to write in, and a cup of coffee and I am on cloud nine ;)

To my true friends and family....I will never stop saying it, I love you all very much. And for shits and giggles :P HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY.  

No comments:

Post a Comment