Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Human Decency: The Fairy tale of Selflessness

I had a bit of trouble starting this entry not exactly understanding why this was such a big deal to me until I recognized how many people do not see or do things beyond their own needs.  They grab for themselves with or without any discretion for any other human being not knowing that the greater reward is in self sacrifice or the giving of yourself to another person.

The holiday season, probably more recognized as Thanksgiving and Christmas, seems to be a time where more people give or try to give more than they receive with the idea that it is good karma or makes them a better person.  Now if you have read previous  entries in my blog, you know my feeling on Valentine's Day being the obligation to show love to a person when it should be shown freely instead of required.  Well, it is this time of year that I think people feel this same requirement to extend a hand to others with selfless acts.  I, on the other hand, question 'Why not do this the rest of the year? These people do not need you just once a year, but maybe a little help throughout the year.'

I came across an opportunity mid-November into December at a temporary position employed as an Administrative Assistant in hopes that the title and experience would expand my capabilities in the future.  Now I am one of those that believes things happen for a reason and that people come into our lives for a reason, which I somehow believe was true in this case.  I worked with an agent in the same office, who could probably be mistaken as being 'rough around the edges' with her tough exterior, but I soon found out it was because, like me, she too had been through some rough times; however, she was able to keep her heart warm.

It was between the two holidays that she was sending out correspondence to those who qualify for medical supplement plans to assist them during their transition through the differences in health insurance.  I am not a sales person, but the heart that shown in her sales changed my perspective that not all sales agents are in their lines of business to make a big buck.  One day while sending out her pamphlets she ran into a woman who did not speak English, yet seemed to understand enough to provide a limited amount of mutual communication.  The woman was wrapped up in a blanket in below freezing weather, so the agent offered the woman a ride only to find out that under the blanket was a young toddler not more than a year old.  The agent asked the woman if she had a winter coat as the area was known for its harsh winters.  What was understood was that the woman did not have a coat and due to language limitations did not currently have a job.  

During the holidays I feel that fairy tales are taken for granted as we expect them during the 'happy time of year,' but it is rare to see one in real life.  The agent took the woman to the nearest department store to buy a winter coat for the woman and child only to find out there were two other children in need.  To sum up the 'happily-ever-after' moment, winter gear was purchased for the family members along with groceries and then around Christmas a bag of presents.  It is rare to witness such selfless acts especially when some people do not have the extra funds to spare, but what inspires me from the story is the little things that make a significant difference in a person's life.  

I have always thrived to be that difference to people, to have a positive outlook, and to reach for the stars because everyone deserves that 'happily-ever-after' ending.  Although, I am going to be the first to admit that it is also sometimes one of the hardest roles to play  especially when you are repeatedly knocked down.  Believe me, I understand this is a test of strength even though it does get frustrating to the point of wanting to yell, "Ok, are you done yet! I'd like to move on, please!" So maybe just screaming or yelling out in the country could just be your answer, but that does not take away from the fact that every 'Once upon a time...' contains a hero whose gift is 'happily-ever-after.'

No comments:

Post a Comment